Moving your photos, contacts, calendars, and accounts from your old Android phone or tablet to your new iPhone or iPad is easier than ever with Apple’s Move to iOS app. Apple’s first Android app, it hooks your old Android and new Apple device together over a direct Wi-Fi connection and transfers over all your data.
While Move to iOS app transfers a lot of your data, it doesn’t transfer your apps (as they’re not compatible), music, or any of your passwords. Additionally, you can only transfer data from an Android phone or tablet to an iPhone or iPad running iOS 9 or higher. If you’ve got the new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, you’ll have no problem.
- Move to iOS
- Contact Transfer
- Droid Transfer
- Smart Transfer
- Android File Transfer
How to move your data from Android to iPhone or iPad with Move to iOS
- Set up your iPhone or iPad until you reach the screen titled “Apps & Data”.
- Tap the “Move Data from Android” option.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store and search for Move to iOS.
- Open the Move to iOS app listing.
- Tap Install
- Choose Open after it’s installed.
- Tap Continue on both devices.
- Select Agree and then Next on the Android phone or tablet.
- On your Android device, enter the 12-digit codedisplayed on the iPhone or iPad.
After entering the code, the Android device will connect with your iPhone or iPad over a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection and determine what data will be transferred.
It will ask whether you want to transfer your Google Account info (so that you can quickly log in on your new Apple device), Chrome bookmarks, text messages, contacts, and the photos and videos in your camera roll. Select everything you want to move over.
Your Android phone or tablet will transfer the selected data over to your iPhone or iPad and place the appropriate content into the correct apps. The two devices will disconnect, and Android will prompt you to take your old device to the Apple Store, where they’ll recycle it for free.
Once the transfer process is complete, tap on Continue Setting Up iPhone or Continue Setting Up iPad on your device and carry on setting up a new Apple ID or logging into your existing one.
Once the setup process is completed, you’ll be prompted to log in to the accounts you transferred from your old Android device. Do that, and then you’re good to go!
How long the transfer process takes varies depending on how much data you’re transferring — especially if you were storing many photos and videos. We transferred roughly 400MB of files, and it took about 8 minutes from starting to set up our iPhone to entering account passwords.
Android to iPhone Transfer apps – Desired Features
So, what should you look for in a Transfer app? Here are the top aspects to consider when evaluating which app you should use to transfer data from Android to iPhone:
- Media types transferred – You may wish to transfer every bit of data from one device to another, or simply a few photos or contacts. Make sure that the app you choose can cover all the information types you need.
- Connection type – The method used to perform a data transfer. Some apps offer a local USB cable connection, others opt for a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection.
- Privacy & Permissions – Depending on what features an app offers, you may have to give permissions to a lot of information from your phone. Other apps will only need permissions for data types that you want to transfer.
- Direct Transfers – Some apps will allow you to transfer directly from Android to iPhone; some can do a direct transfer via a computer; others will transfer from device to computer.
- Customer Support – Are professionals on hand for any queries or issues you may have?
- Cost – You usually get what you pay for. A cost usually indicates work which has gone into developing features, interface and usability. Decide which features are most important to you and compare that to the budget you have available.
Comparison of features in the top Android to iPhone transfer apps
|Features||Move to iOS||Contact Transfer||Droid Transfer||SHAREit||Smart Transfer||Android File Transfer|
|Media types transferred||Contacts,
Photos & Video,
Photos & Video,
|Photos & Video,
Photos & Video,
|Photos & Video,
|Connection type||Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi and USB||Wi-Fi or USB||Wi-Fi and Bluetooth||Wi-Fi or Hotspot||USB|
|Privacy & Permissions||Required access only||Required access only||Required access only||Required access and GPS and Location services||Required access only||Required access only|
|Direct Transfers||Direct||Direct via a PC||Android to PC||Direct||Direct||Android to Mac|
|Cost||Free||$15.00 / one-time payment||$30.00 / one-time payment||Free ($2.99 to remove ads)||Free ($4.99 to remove ads)||Free|
*Files transferred by this app are to PC or Mac, rather than directly to an iPhone.
How to Transfer photos from Android Contact
If your goal is to transfer contacts from Android to an iPhone, you’d be hard pushed to find better than Contact Transfer.
This app is for Windows PC and can connect with iPhones and Androids, enabling you to quickly transfer contacts between them.
Unlike with “Move to iOS”, you can use Contact Transfer even after setting up your iPhone, with no danger of data loss!
Here’s how to transfer Android contact to iPhone with Contact Transfer:
- Get the Contact Transfersoftware on your PC, and the Contact Transfer Android app from Google Play Store.
- Launch Contact Transfer on your computer, and choose Android and iPhone respectively as your Source and Destination devices. Click Continue.
- Connect your devices:
- Android: launch the Contact Transfer app on your Android and tap “Scan Contact Transfer QR Code”. Then use your device’s camera to scan the QR code shown in Contact Transfer on your computer.
- iPhone: use your iPhone’s USB cable to connect it with your PC.
- Then click Continue.
- Select the contacts you wish to transfer. Or click the All checkbox to select all contacts from your list.
- Click Transfer!
As a bonus, Contact Transfer offers additional features to enable you to efficiently manage your contacts on Android, iPhone and PC. You can easily add contacts to your devices, as well as edit and delete contacts on your devices right from within the app!
How to Transfer photos from Android SHAREit
SHAREit is a great little tool which is available for pretty much any system you may want to use it on (Android, iOS, Windows and Mac).
The app boasts fast transfer speeds of up to 20M/s, but this will depend on your own connection and network. Here’s how it works:
- Download the SHAREit app on your Android (from the Google Play Store) and on your iPhone (from the Apple App Store).
- Ensure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the SHAREit app on both the Android and the iPhone.
- On the Android, tap the Send button and select the files you wish to send. Then tap Next to proceed.
- On your iPhone, tap the Receive button to open the connection between the Android and iPhone.
- Now your iPhone will be visible as a device on your Android. On the Android, select the iPhone device to start transferring your selected files to it!
Note: At step 4, you will notice that SHAREit requires access to GPS, Location services and Bluetooth on your device. If you prefer your chosen app not to have access to these permissions, we recommend using a different method like Droid Transfer.
As expected from a free app, there are many advertisements which pop up during use of the app
How to Transfer photos from Android Smart
Smart Transfer is similar to SHAREit in that the app needs to be installed on both your Android and iPhone in order to make a connection.
Smart Transfer, however, is able to transfer more types of files with the addition of Contacts and Calendars. Let’s see it in action…
- Download and install the Smart Transfer app on your Android (from the Google Play Store) and on your iPhone (from the Apple App Store).
- Open Smart Transfer on your Android and tap the Send button.
- Launch Smart Transfer on the iPhone and tap the receive button.
- Choose whether to connect via Hotspot or Wi-Fi. You’ll be presented with a 6-digit code on the iPhone screen.
- Enter the code into Smart Transfer on your Android, then tap Continue.
- Accept the connection on your iPhone by tapping Yes.
- Now, on your Android, you can select the data you wish to transfer to your iPhone. Once you are happy with your selection, hit Start to initiate the transfer!
The downside here is that you can’t select individual items (e.g. a single photo). As such, selecting a category like Pictures will transfer all your pictures from Android to iPhone.
How to Transfer photos from Android Android File
Our final selected app in this guide is a little different from the others. Android File Transfer is for Mac only, and this app lets you connect your Android to your Mac (which you cannot do by default) and allows you to browse and transfer files from the Android to the Mac itself.
Although you can’t transfer files directly from Android to iPhone with Android File Transfer, having your desired files available on your Mac is a great way to have a safe backup of important files, and is only a step away from being easily transferred to your iPhone by way of iCloud.
Here’s how to use Android File Transfer to copy files from Android to Mac…
- Download and Install Android File Transfer on your Mac.
- Connect your Android device to your Mac with your USB cable.
- When the Android asks what you would like to use the connection for, select “File Transfer” (this option may be worded slightly differently depending on your device).
- Open Android File Transfer to browse your Android’s files.
- You can select the files you want to transfer, then simply drag and drop them into a folder on your Mac (the screenshot below shows a selection of music from an Android device using Android File Transfer).
- Now you can disconnect your Android and connect your iPhone.
Depending on the data transferred from your Android, you may need to perform different tasks to then transfer the information onto your iPhone. For example, having transferred the music in the above screenshot, you can drag the copied tracks from your Mac into your iTunes/Music library on the Mac. Finally, you would then sync your iPhone with the Mac to transfer the music.
How to Transfer Data from Android to iPhone in 1 Click
Suffer greatly from the slow speed to transfer Android data to iPhone little by little? You don’t have to. Here is a powerful Android to iPhone transfer tool – MobileTrans – Phone Transfer, which helps you transfer contacts, photos, videos, photos, and music from Android to iPhone 13
3 Steps to Transfer Data from Android to iPhone in 1 Click
- Contacts in account:MobileTrans – Phone Transfer can transfer contacts on Twitter, Facebook, Google, and any account supported by your Android device. Therefore, please make sure whether you want to transfer contacts in the accounts or not. If yes, please sign in the accounts on your Android device.
- One-click Backup and Restore:Use this mode when you only have one phone at hand. Just backup data on your Android phone to the computer, and restore it to your iPhone whenever you need it.
Step 1. Run the Android to iPhone Data Transfer Tool
Run MobileTrans – Phone Transfer, the best Android to iPhone data transfer tool on the computer, and you will see the window as follows. After then, connect your Android phone and your iPhone with the computer via USB cables respectively. Make sure that both devices can be successfully detected by your computer.
Step 2. Choose “Phone Transfer” feature
In the main window, choose the “Phone Transfer” mode, and you will see the program displays as follows. You can use the “Flip” button to switch the places of your phones and make sure that the iPhone is the destination one.
Step 3. Transfer SMS, Contacts, Calendar, Photos, Video and Music from Android to iPhone
After then, you can see that all contents that can be transferred are listed in the middle of the window. Check the wanted files and click “Start “. During the process, never to disconnect either device. Then all the data will be transferred from Android to iPhone 13
How to transfer from iPhone to Android: Moving Mail and Messages from iPhone to Android
Moving Mail is easy. You sign in with your Google ID to get any emails in Gmail. Or you sign in with your iCloud account details, or your other email address, and you can read your mail messages.
Moving Messages is very difficult. And it’s probably best not to bother. Investigate an app like AnyTrans if you want to preserve any old messages. It will also take care of all your other media too.
How to transfer from iPhone to Android: Move Photos, Music and media from iPhone to Android
It’s pretty easy to move your snaps from iPhoto to Google Photos, using the Google Photos iOS app.
- Download Google Photosfrom the App Store on your iPhone.
- Open Google Photos.
- Sign in with your Google Account.
- Choose Backup & Sync. (It’s best to leave ‘Use mobile data to back up’ set as Off unless you have unlimited data.)
- Tap Continue.
Transfer your music using the Google Music app and by installing Music Manager for Mac. This app (installed in macOS) transfers all your music in iTunes to Google’s cloud.
Then you can stream all of your music from Google Play Music on your Android phone.
Use tool to transfer photos from Android on to iPhone directly
This is the easiest method to transfer all contact to the new phone at one time. PanFone Mobile Data Transfer, designed for transferring data among iOS devices, android devices, iCloud, iTunes and computer, make it much easier to transfer data from an old phone to a new one. Simply install the latest and correct version of the program on your computer from below buttons, and follow the steps to transfer photos from Android Phones to iPhone in this part.
Open this iPhone contacts transfer tool, three modules on the program homepage will pop up automatically. Select Transfer mode on the main interface.
In the connecting pane, this Android to iPhone transfer tool will detect your two phones automatically. You will then see them displayed on the starting window with Android phone in the “Source” and iPhone in the “Target” position. You can click Flip button in the middle to change the position of two connected phones. Click “Next”.
Use the “Move to iOS” App to transfer your Android content
This method will use the App “Move to iOS”. Download and install it at first.
- Tap Move Data from Android
While you set up your new iOS device, look for the Apps & Data screen. Then tap Move Data from Android. (If you already finished setup, you need to erase your iOS device and start over. If you don’t want to erase, just transfer your content manually.)
- Open the Move to iOS app
On your Android device, open the Move to iOS app and tap Continue. Read the terms and conditions that appear. To continue, tap Agree, then tap Next in the top-right corner of the Find Your Code screen.
- Wait for a code
On your iOS device, tap Continue on the screen called Move from Android. Then wait for a ten-digit or six-digit code to appear. If your Android device shows an alert that you have a weak Internet connection, you can ignore the alert.
- Use the code
Enter the code on your Android device. Then wait for the Transfer Data screen to appear.
- Choose your content and wait
On your Android device, select the content that you want to transfer and tap Next. Then — even if your Android indicates that the process is complete — leave both devices alone until the loading bar that appears on your iOS device finishes. The whole transfer can take a while, depending on how much content you’re moving.
Here’s what gets transferred: contacts, message history, camera photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail accounts, and calendars. If they’re available on both Google Play and the App Store, some of your free apps will also transfer. After the transfer completes, you can download any free apps that were matched from the App Store.
- Set up your iOS device
After the loading bar finishes on your iOS device, tap Done on your Android device. Then tap Continue on your iOS device and follow the onscreen steps to finish setup for your iOS device.
- Finish up
Make sure that all of your content transferred. Music, Books, and PDFs need to be moved over manually.
Move photos from Android to iOS device manually
By applying this method, a computer with iTunes is needed for transferring photos and videos from your Android device to iOS device.
- Connect your Android to your computer and find your photos and videos. On most devices, you can find these files in DCIM > Camera. On a Mac, install Android File Transfer, open it, then go to DCIM > Camera.
- Choose the photos and videos that you want to move and drag them to a folder on your computer.
- Disconnect your Android and connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes on your computer and sync your Photos to your iPhone. You can find your photos and videos on your iPhone in Photos > Albums.
Transfer photos from Android to iPhone via Bluetooth
In fact, this method is to use the “share” function of phone.
- Open up Bluetooth on both Android and iOS devices. Both the smartphones should have the option to turn Bluetooth on/off via sliding panel from the top of the screen.
- Now, tap on the checkbox to make the device visible to other mobile devices.
- On your Android device> Go to your File Manager > DCIM Folder (for Camera content).
- Tap on the menu button of your Android Smartphone to get a list of the drop-down menu actions. Click on ‘Select’.
- Each image will now have a checkbox next to it. Tap on the checkbox to select it or you can select all pictures.
- Now, select the “Share” icon, scroll down to the “Bluetooth” option and select the option.
- There will be a list of Bluetooth devices visible to your Android. Select your iPhone to start the data exchange. The exchange will be signified by a file transfer window and the files will be downloaded one at a time.
How to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone
Transfer using dr.fone
- To begin, download the fonetool on your computer.
- Now, connect your Android device and iPhone to the computer.
- Open the dr.fone tool and tap on ‘Restore social app’.
- Select ‘WhatsApp’ and click on ‘Transfer WhatsApp messages’.
- The app will now connect to both your phones and show the two devices on the screen.
- Click the ‘Transfer’ button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The transfer process will begin, and you will be able to see the transfer status on your computer.
- Once the transfer is complete, tap the ‘Ok’ button and disconnect your device.
Transfer using email
You can also transfer your WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone using email. However, this is a tedious process as you can transfer only one chat at once.
- On your Android device, open WhatsApp and go to ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘Chats’ and then select ‘Chat history’.
- Click on ‘Export Chat’ and select the contact whose chat you want to transfer.
- Now, you can select whether you want to include the media in the backup or not.
- Select Gmail and enter the recipient email address. You can use your own email address here.
- Tap send and restore this message in your iPhone.
Google apps on iOS
As an Android user, you are likely familiar with apps and services from Google, such as Google Maps and Gmail. A number of these are available on iOS, including Google Chrome, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Keep, Google Search, Google Calendar, Google Maps, Google Photos, YouTube, Google Play Music, Google Play Books and Google Play Movies.
While the process of transferring data from Android to iOS is relatively straightforward, it’s nice to know there is a safety net. Apple offers a free personal setup service with your new iPhone or iPad. The service is available at your local Apple Store or online for customers without a retail location nearby.