Alec Baldwin indicted for manslaughter
It was October 21, 2021 when an unfortunate accident occurred on the set of the movie Rush and ended the life of the cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, after Alec Baldwin accidentally shot her with a weapon that supposedly it should have been verified by production personnel, and for which they are now formally accused.
One year and three months after that incident, the American actor and a weapons specialist were formally accused of involuntary manslaughter , in which the film’s director, Joel Souza, was also injured, according to what can be read in court documents presented this Tuesday in prosecutors, reported the portal The Guardian.
These charges come two weeks after Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed were reportedly to be indicted for what authorities described as a pattern of criminal disregard for security. Those involved claim to be innocent and will fight the charges against them.
Baldwin’s lawyer, Luke Nikas, did not want to comment on the case to the media, although days before he referred to what happened: ” Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe that there was a live bullet in the weapon , or in any part of the filming set,” he said in a statement.
“He trusted the professionals he worked with.” Gutierrez-Reed’s attorney, for his part, said he would release a statement later. For its part, the Screen Actors Guild also came to the actor’s defense and previously criticized the choice to prosecute Baldwin.
“The prosecutor’s assertion that an actor has a duty to ensure the functional and mechanical operation of a firearm on a production set is incorrect and uninformed. An actor’s job is not to be an expert on firearms or weapons.”
Leave a Reply